Five Ways Your Church Can Be More Pro-Life
There is a broader conversation happening in the American church right now about what it means to be “pro-life.” People are asking good questions, like, “Does ‘pro-life’ include the death penalty? Certain health care rights? What about education?” This can be a challenging line of thinking, but it is worthwhile for Christians to wrestle with before God and with the help of scripture.
However, the term “pro-life” has an important history and is inherently linked to being anti-abortion. For those of us in the pregnancy resource movement, this is a good thing! We are proud to offer compassion, hope, and help to anyone in our community facing an unplanned pregnancy. Abortion should never be the only option.
Historically, the fight to protect the rights of unborn children has been the American church’s most important political battle, and we are still working and praying toward that goal. In the meantime, here are five impactful ways that your church can be more pro-life:
- Organize a baby shower. Throw a party? Yep! Gather your bible study or small group together to celebrate a new life and to support an expectant mother by buying typical new baby items (diapers, wipes, washcloths and towels, clothing, toys, car seats, strollers, etc.) and wrapping them as gifts. We will help you arrange the details; you will be a blessing to someone who needs it!
- Volunteer at LoRita’s. Grab a friend and come spend an afternoon with our staff at LoRita’s Open Door boutique. You’ll learn the basics of how our second-hand mama & baby boutique operates while pitching in on a project or two. If you love fashion, style, making new friends, or just helping out, we need you!
- Consider becoming a client advocate. Our client advocates are a crucial part of the ministry of Care Net Pregnancy Medical Center in Dickson. If you have a heart for those facing an unplanned pregnancy and would like to be trained to help our clients walk through that important decision, then please contact us today.
- Start a Change for Life campaign. This is an easy, fun, and memorable way to get your church involved with the ministry of Care Net. Here is how it works: let us know that you’d like to start a campaign and we will give you empty baby bottles that you will distribute to your youth group, small group, or fellow church members. Then everyone does their part to fill the bottles with coins and cash (checks are fine, too!) and after a certain amount of pre-determined time, you will gather the bottles and bring them to us. Change for Life is a simple way to get the word out about who we are and what we do…and the funds help provide essential services to our clients.
- Ask your church leader to consider the Making Life Disciples video series. Our national affiliation with Care Net has provided us with many great resources, including access to Care Net’s Making Life Disciples series. This resource was tailor-made for churches –it is a six-week DVD based series that will train your church to deliver compassion, hope, help, and discipleship to women and men in your congregation who may be considering abortion. While we aim to give the best service to every person who walks through our center’s doors, the reality is that they will likely come in contact with you—their peers, friends, and pastors—first. Be ready for that conversation. Get quality training.
As the local church, you are a vital part of the pro-life movement. How you care for those in crisis speaks louder than a protest sign…how you love in both word and deed reveals the truth of God’s heart for mothers, fathers, and children. Keep the lamp burning bright! Let us know how you would like to partner your church with Care Net today.